Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Welcome

I love stories, and that includes family stories.  They're slippery things, though.  They can change over time, or be told from different points of view.  They can be forgotten or confused. .    They can have multiple interpretations. They can leave a lot of things out, and they can assume that we know things that we don't.  As someone who also gets a kick out of research, I enjoy finding out more about the history of my family, both my birth family and the family I married into.  This blog is to fill in the gaps of some family stories I've heard, to collect and share what I've been learning about my husband's family, the Fyfes, the Rutherfords and all of their associated lines.  I'm hoping that if you're reading this and you're a relative, you'll have stories or memories to share with me as well. 

One of my favourite books about researching family history is The Magical Life of Long Tack Sam by Ann Marie Fleming, based on her movie of the same name.  Near the end, she says:  "Distances and differences kept us apart, and we forgot to remind each other of our own stories."  I hope that some of my discoveries will make our family history richer and more worth remembering.

No comments:

Post a Comment